Thursday, April 11, 2019

On How Ehlers-Danlos Has Affected Me

     It has been nearly six years since I last focused a blog post on having Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome. So much has happened since then! So, I thought it was time to reflect on the day-to-day with this genetic disorder. How has EDS affected me?
     My mornings are full of false starts, though I move from the bed and my C-PAP to the couch when my husband goes to work. There is the morning "what's dislocated" moment and getting my first dose of medications in, as well as a liquid breakfast. Gastroparesis is not kind to solid foods in the morning.  If I'm in physical therapy, at the gym for time in the water, at the clinic for infusions via my chest port, or have doctors appointments, those all happen in the mornings. When I'm lucky enough to not have those, I sleep in.
     I'm blessed to be able to work from home with a wonderful accredited homeschool academy. Losing my ability to teach full-time was a very hard blow, but I could not keep up and was dislocating joints in the classroom at random times or in the halls due to a rushing teenager.  However, I now get to work with students and their families from my home office. I use adaptive equipment like a vertical mouse, voice to text software, a brace to hold me up better, and athletic tape or ring splints on my fingers. On bad days, I work from the couch. I'm exhausted by the end of those hours, though, so end up needing a long nap in the late afternoon.
     Most of the daily tasks happen right after that nap. I'll work on home physical therapy, will try to get a house-task done, or will be outside in my adaptive garden or greenhouse. Regardless, I'm braced up, taped up, and with an electrolyte drink in my hand and phone in my pocket in case I fall. I try to make large batch meals so there are nights where we have leftovers, as it is exhausting to cook. After that, I'm back on the couch, working on my novels or gaming and roleplaying with my friends. On really good nights, I can get some sewing in as well. Sleep does not come easy, due to "painsomnia" and side effects from the medications keeping me alive. I'm up late... even when I want to be asleep.
   There is so much I miss, like being able to go hiking whenever I want, or the freedom to run errands without having to build in ample crash time afterward. I hate the looks I get parking in handicap and have been verbally accosted even when I had a cane and knee braces and ankle braces on. I miss dairy and nightshades and being able to cook whatever I wanted. I hate being on so many medications, though do what I can with natural methods too. I own so many braces, splints, rolls of therapy tape, and compression garments that I could open my own supply store. I miss being able to look at my future and actually seeing it. So many of us die way too early. I miss the income of working full-time. It has made things tougher for us for sure. There is so much our house needs or what we want for it that we just cannot handle now.
   However, there have been some positives too. Without the people I've met in this journey, I wouldn't be in the position I am today - volunteering for Dysautonomia Support Network in their largest Facebook support group. I've made some amazing friends through this battle. I wouldn't have been able to teach so many about rare genetic disorders (my husband has PKU, so I get to double up on the education giving!) There are people I've been able to influence positively because of what I've gone through. I also wouldn't have gotten back into sewing, wouldn't have been sewing commission work, and wouldn't have met the Piecemakers, the charity quilting group I volunteer at on Saturday mornings. They keep me going, though I'm on the couch for hours afterward. I also wouldn't have had the time and focus to write novels. Two are already out with a third coming in June and another by the end of the year.
      Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome is a beast. It is a heavy burden to bear which affects every part of my life. However, it has made me who I am today.

#EDSwarrior #Zebra #DSN #bodydrama #divajuice

1 comment:

  1. For beautiful and adjustable finger splints, you may wish to check Jewel Splint:
    https://www.etsy.com/il-en/shop/JewelSplint/items
    https://www.jewelsplint.com/

    ReplyDelete